Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Crazy Amsterdam


The Beer bike

Last Saturday I went to attend the General Meeting of OnFile, An Association for Immigrant Writers and Journalists (where I am a board member) at Singel 46, in Amsterdam near the central station. It was a cold winter day with snow still on the ground. As I was approaching my destination, I heard rowdy noise, like many horses pulling chariots. When I looked back, I saw this pseudo car with about 20 men shouting at the top of their voices, having fun, drinking, smoking (soft drugs?), and generally very excited.

When it approached, it was something I had never seen before! 10 men on each side, seated at bar stool look-alike, facing each other pedaling, drinking and smoking and of course talking loudly. There was a driver at the front who was directing the vehicle if I can call it that. I took some photos of it with my telephone.

When I reached the OnFile centre, I asked my colleagues what that was. They explained that: It's a bicycle with a bar set up on it. The beer bike is suitable for 10 to 22 people, who power the bike while they are sitting at the bar. The beer bike is mainly used at festive events such as corporate excursions and bachelor parties, and is particularly popular with visitors from rural Holland and foreign tourists.


Some details:

  • Rental period is 3 hours
  • With a minimum of 10 people it’s €39 per person
  • With a maximum of 19 people it’s only €23 per person
  • Price includes a keg of beer equaling 30 liters / 6.6 UK gallons / 8 US gallons
  • 20 extra liters of beer adds €25
  • No beer at all saves you €75, or you can switch to wine or soft drinks
  • Time blocks starting at 6pm and until midnight cost €50 extra for the party

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...