Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Metropolitan Kigali

Images of the new Kigali

Ali Balunywa in Kigali

10 years ago

10 years ago Kigali was very frustrating to a guy used to Kampala. Shops those good days used to close at lunchtime, in order for shopkeepers have lunch and take a siesta. Taxis too would not carry passengers during lunchtime. Whenever you tried to flag one down, he would point at his wristwatch and drive on. On Sundays there were so few taxis on the roads because it was resting day. Generally people used to respect rest times.

Kigali then had business centres under tree shades! They used old-fashioned typewriters to make word documents. It was very amusing to see men and women seriously typing away documents with carbon papers in between for making copies. Middle class homes were built using mud in the inner walls and plastered with cement. The roof used to slant only on one side. You found many of these on the hills of Kigali.

All shops were practically full of Uganda goods. Or re-imported from Uganda. Bars and restaurants served Ugandan drinks and eats. It was like an extension of Kampala!

Fast Forward 2010

Last week I was given a small cheque to cash at the bank. I was not looking forward given my last years experience! (I stood for so long in the line, and they sort of insulted me in Kinyarwanda language, which I understand). Being a Friday evening, I thought I would leave it at the reception of the hotel for safe custody. The receptionist asked me to go and cash it. I was surprised because it was already 8.00pm. She confirmed to me that banks were still open at that time!

The bank had the modern European lining system where you pick a number from the digital machine. When your turn comes, the computer announces your number and directs you which counter to go to. Whew! That was amazing in Rwanda. That was not the only surprise. Earlier in the week, most ATMs rejected my bankcards. At the hotel, I was told ECO Bank accepted them including Visa credit cards. Being a Sunday, I thought I would try the next day, but the guys convinced me that most banks work on Sunday too up to late!

From a nation that loved its rest times, Rwanda has become a nation that does not sleep. Gone are the days when shopkeepers closed during lunchtime, or at 5.00pm and were closed Sunday. Shops are now open every day up to late. Supermarkets are now the order of the day. With competition for passengers, no taxi driver takes an afternoon siesta.

The slanting roof houses are no more. They have been replaced with organized housing with tarmac roads and paved pedestrian walkways. Houses are not just built; they are designed, beautiful, orderly and smart. They are not different from what you find ion a high-end neighbourhood in Europe. The right hand, ramshackle Ugandan cars are no more. They have been replaced with latest Japanese and European models. They cruise on pothole free roads of Kigali. The change here in Kigali is revolutionary

When I asked to establish where the inspiration to transform comes from, many people happily told me it was the president. President Kagame is said to be a result-oriented leader. He has zero tolerance for corruption and does not brook incompetence. He enforces accountability with an iron hand, which has led Rwanda to shine in Africa as an example of a country where institutions are respected.

The whole Kigali is now a hot spot! Restaurants, Hotels and bars provide free Internet to their customers. Some supermarkets also provide a coffee/tea corner where a shopper can rest as he surfs free Internet! ICT is being promoted all over the country. Even rural villages are introduced to ICT through weekly Internet bus visits.

Rwandans are now proud to be Rwandans. My respects, Raisi Kagame!



Images of the new Kigali

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful indeed.

savvy said...

LOL!


Really, shops used to close for lunch?

I'm new in Rwanda and though am finding it a little behind in development as compared to Kenya, am liking my time here. Do you mind updating your blog?

Unknown said...

wow! either you are getting paid by the Rwanda government or are blinded by an elite neighborhood you've never left. Can you tell men how many Rwandans live under poverty? fancy buildings and gadgets don't impress me at all. I would be happy living without them if I knew that most of my fellow countrymen can have food when they are hungry. After that then we can talk about other things. That's the true meaning of development

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...